Arletta's Adult Care Home, Inc.

 

Home
Introduction
Fundamental Steps
Selecting Provider
Choosing Facility
Guardianship
Transition
Medicaid
Services
Picture
Direction
Contact_Us
Other Services

 

 

Selecting a care provider is not an easy venture. 

Our primary role is to help our residents to preserve their dignity.

 

Medicaid

Medicaid is a health insurance program provided by the government. It is available to those who are low-income, regardless of age.

What does Medicaid cover?

The services that Medicaid covers vary from state to state. At a minimum, Medicaid covers the same services as Medicare. Some state Medicaid programs offer additional health benefits.

The following Medicaid benefits are provided in all states:

  • Inpatient hospital services
  • Outpatient hospital services
  • Medical and surgical dental services
  • Nursing home care
  • Home care services
  • Laboratory and x-ray services
  • Rural health clinic services
  • Transportation to medical treatments
  • Medicare monthly premiums, deductibles and coinsurance amounts (for those that also have Medicare)


The following additional Medicaid services are covered in some states:

  • Prescription medications
  • Eye exams and glasses
  • Hearing aids
  • Dental services and dentures
  • Prosthetic devices

Who is eligible for Medicaid?

Medicaid is for people who are low-income; therefore, in order to qualify you need to demonstrate that your love one is below certain income and asset amounts. These amounts vary from state to state, but are approximately:

  • A monthly income limited to approximately $300 to $500.
  • Total assets (less a primary residence, one car and personal possessions) limited to approximately $2000.
  • Citizenship requirements: A person who is a "legal immigrant" can qualify for Medicaid if he meets certain guidelines (contact his local Department of Social Services).

Get specific information about your state

To learn about the specific eligibility criteria and benefits in your elder's state, contact Department of Social and Health Services or Social Welfare Department in your area.

Applying for Medicaid

If you think your love one would qualify for and benefit from Medicaid, contact a local Department of Social and Health Services to learn where to apply in his state. Applying for Medicaid usually involves significant paperwork and multiple appointments with eligibility staff. Your love one’s financial status will be reviewed and your love one (or you) may be interviewed.

You can assist your elder by gathering any financial records and preparing Medicaid forms before appointments. Consider consulting an elder law attorney or a financial planner that specializes in your love one care.

Why would an elderly with Medicare need Medicaid?

Since Medicare only covers up to 80 percent of some medical services, Medicaid can be used to pay for the remaining 20 percent. Also, Medicaid will pay for nursing home costs while Medicare will not. Unless your elder has long term care insurance, nursing home costs are paid out-of-pocket. Another bonus is that on Medicaid, elders are no longer required to pay Medicare premiums and deductibles.

Do providers and facilities that get paid by Medicaid offer lower quality services?

Be aware that the bulk of nursing home costs are paid for by the Medicaid program. A patient in a nursing home, who exhausts his/her assets to pay the nursing home bill, will eventually qualify for Medicaid and legally cannot be discharged from the home. The change in his/her source of payment should not result in a change of care quality.

 

More information: http://www.dhhs.gov http://www.medicare.gov/
   

 

 

Copyright © 1995 Arletta's Adult Care Home, Inc.                                        
Last modified: August 06, 2016